Next week will mark a full year since ex-Villa striker’s death following an incident with police outside an address on Meadow Close, Trench on Monday 15 August 2016.
It’s been a long wait for Atkinson’s family looking for answers and possible justice after he was tasered by the police.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission has been investigating his death to see if there was indeed malpractice by the police and that process is now, according to their latest update, reaching its conclusion.
The investigation has included:
- Three West Mercia Police officers have been interviewed under criminal caution and were earlier served with gross misconduct notices.
- IPCC investigators have spoken to around 15 other police officers as witnesses.
- Accounts have also been gained from more than 15 members of the public who witnessed events, as well as paramedics.
- A number of forensic experts have been consulted.
- Investigators have transcribed relevant police Airwave radio transmissions and examined police policies on the use of force.
- Analysis of a Taser deployed during the incident has been carried out.
The update from the IPCC concludes that while all investigative actions have been completed, the IPCC investigation report cannot be signed-off until the full pathology and toxicology reports are provided.
In summing up the process, the IPCC Commissioner, Derrick Campbell, said:
“At the conclusion of our independent investigation, I will consider whether to refer our investigation report to the Crown Prosecution Service to make a decision on any potential charges against police officers. A criminal investigation does not mean that criminal charges will necessarily follow.
“The report will also consider whether any officers should, in the view of the IPCC, face misconduct proceedings. We will share our finished report with HM Coroner, Mr Atkinson’s family and West Mercia Police. We have been keeping the interested parties as informed as we can throughout our enquiries. I am grateful for the patience shown by all concerned during the course of this rightly thorough investigation.”
Follow My Old Man Said on Twitter here – @oldmansaid