Benteke’s fact, Holt’s here and Baker is still alive!
After Arsenal left Villa Park with a 2-1 win, Villa’s home record makes Aston Villa fans increasingly want to break down and cry. And the atmosphere around the club doesn’t look that it will be getting any better, any time soon, with four tough games on the horizon. Such is the current Villa team’s lack of identity and unpredictability, they’re more likely to beat Liverpool at Anfield, than the Baggies at Villa Park. A signing was announced today, but most Villa fans were pretty dismissive, so what are the reasons to be cheerful as Villa fans?
1. Well, lets get the obvious one out of the way first, Benteke has finally scored. His goal drought was getting silly. Interestingly, the Belgian was a slow starter last season with five goals in his first 16 games for Villa. His recent goal against Arsenal, means he matches those figures this season. So now, all he has to do is go onto score something close to the 14 goals in his final 18 games last season. If that happens, Villa should be sweet.
2. At 2-0 down, it looked like Arsenal would pump up the numbers and make serious dents into Villa’s goal difference. In some respects it reminded me of the Newcastle game last season, were Villa were two-nil down, but after getting a goal back, showed a new found spirit that had been lacking for months before. Hopefully, the team will kick on from here. Benteke in ‘Beast Mode’ at Anfield ala last season, would be a great start.
3. Nathan Baker is ok. Sometimes the Villa centre-back plays like he has a death wish. At least he managed to wait until the game kicked off to get injured this time, after getting injured in a warm-up to a game recently. Why does he always seem to get into some kind of trouble in every game he plays? Brave or wreckless? You decide.
4. Aston Villa CEO Paul Faulker said in a radio interview before the Arsenal game, that all was well at Villa. “There has been very clear, definite progress from last year, certainly in terms of where we we’re sat this time, to last year in the league and points-wise,” he told a pandering Tom Ross. “We’ve got a lot of reasons to be positive going into the second half of the season.” It’s good to know someone is confident at the club, especially since we currently have exactly the same points in the equivalent games we played last season. Hardly progress PF.
5. Is Grant Holt your favourite player? Or are you at least a big fan of the ex-Norwich striking juggernaut? Then we have great news for you…he’s signed for Aston Villa on loan for the rest of the season! It’s surely better than seeing him waste away on the sidelines in the Championship at Wigan, right? You must be in dreamland right now. UTV